AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION OF MAINE FOUNDATION
The ACLU of Maine is dedicated to defending the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and to extending their promises to all Mainers. We are active in the courts, the legislature and the community. Founded in 1968 and based in Portland, the ACLU of Maine is the statewide affiliate of the national ACLU, a nationwide organization with a presence in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington D.C. Our priority issues include criminal legal system reform, reproductive freedom, racial justice, immigrants’ rights, LGBTQ+ rights, women’s rights, voting rights, freedom of expression, freedom of speech and religion, and privacy.
We are a passionate, highly motivated group and we are looking for exceptional talent to join our team. To learn more about us, visit our website.
The ACLU of Maine is seeking applicants for a full-time fellowship position of one year. As a part of our team, the Fellow will work closely with one department of their choosing to support its work and the work of our organization.
Our next Fellow works well under deadline, is able to problem-solve, multi-task, and works independently as well as with others across departments in a very collaborative environment. S/he/they will have a commitment to racial justice equity, diversity, and inclusion with an approach that values the individual and respects differences and builds networks and relationships.
This fellowship was created to give people just starting their careers a meaningful opportunity to receive training and experience in advancing civil rights and civil liberties, advocacy, and non-profit operations. More details can be found below.
WHO CAN APPLY?
We invite people with a connection to Maine who are recent college graduates, or who have equivalent experience, to apply. We are looking for an engaged and passionate individual with a meaningful interest in civil rights and civil liberties.
Location: Remote (subject to change)
Time Commitment: 40 hours per week for one year
Start Date: September 2021
Salary: $40,000 - $45,000 with benefits
HOW TO APPLY
Submit our fellowship application.
Please submit your application by 9:00 a.m. on Monday, March 8, 2021. We will call selected applicants for interviews and anticipate making a decision on applications in April of 2021.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Fellow will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience by working with our team to
- Support key advocacy priorities and our responses to important current events as they arise by, for example, completing research, drafting communications and documents, organizing programs and events, and more
- Provide insight on team program plans to advance civil rights and civil liberties across Maine
- Take initiative by identifying additional projects of interest to work on
- Work collaboratively and respectfully with a diverse team of colleagues
- Complete other tasks as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
We are looking for someone who is
- Dedicated to defending and advancing civil liberties, civil rights, and social justice
- Demonstrates commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- Willing to approach the work with a growth mindset
- Driven to work both independently and as part of a team to complete projects successfully
- Ready to work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, and learn-by-doing
The ACLU of Maine is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Maine strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, prior involvement in the criminal legal system, or membership in any legally protected category.
The ACLU of Maine is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request accommodation for the interview process.