The American Civil Liberties Union of Maine (ACLU of Maine) seeks a full-time Development Communications Strategist to ensure top-notch, strategic communications that engage our supporters in our civil rights and civil liberties priorities to advance our fundraising goals.
The Development Communications Strategist will report to the Director of Leadership Giving (DLG) and be a critical member of our development and communications teams. You will be responsible for a majority of written development communications. And you will support the DLG to implement the development department’s plan including managing the donor portfolio.
This is an exciting opportunity for a self-starter who thrives in a busy, bustling environment with the ability to stay organized and balance multiple writing projects coming at you at once, while staying focused on the details that matter. You work well under pressure and have strong oral and written communication skills. Our supporter communications, much like the work of the ACLU, is ever changing. You can synthesize our complex issues and projects into engaging, compelling messages for multiple donor audiences through communications including: impact reports on our priority areas, grant reports, and emails to major donors. You will also have opportunities for frontline relationship building experience by engaging our donors on the phone and in-person.
Through your work, you will make a difference by providing meaningful communications for our supporters inspiring them to take action through their philanthropy. At this time in our history for both philanthropy and movements for equity, you will be vital to our work to bring our supporters into these deeply important conversations.
The ACLU of Maine has a tremendous network of energized donors and supporters across the state. Our development team’s mission is to engage our supporters and connect them to the ACLU’s work. We are open to a range of experience and encourage applicants from a wide array of backgrounds. This position has a high potential for growth and the position’s responsibilities will be adjusted accordingly.
The Development Communications Strategist position is a bargaining unit position represented by SEIU Local 1989.
- In consultation with the Director of Leadership Giving (DLG) & Communications Director, support the implementation of the development and communications plan as well as the stewardship and messaging calendar;
- Supports the DLG to implement the development annual plan and support outreach aspects of portfolio work with major donors, including some research and briefing materials in advance of meetings with donors and prospects, and supporting the DLG’s donor communications;
- Steward and cultivate donors and members through strategic communications including the quarterly newsletter, donor appeals, and priority issue briefings;
- Partner with Associate Director of Development to draft grant applications, track grant funded activities and progress by partnering with program staff, and synthesize information to create completion reports;
- Partner with staff to learn about the critical impact of donor support on our engagement, litigation, and legislative work to incorporate this information into written materials and talking points, such as highly personalized stewardship and grant reports;
- Acknowledge and appreciate ACLU supporters through written communications, zoom meetings, and phone outreach;
- Partner with senior and program staff, and/or volunteers on donor and member engagement opportunities;
- Maintain working knowledge of national ACLU programmatic priorities and issues as they occur;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A strong passion for the ACLU of Maine’s mission;
- Dedication to social justice work and cultural competency to work with a diverse team;
- Excellent written communication and presentation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to simplify complex themes and activities into a short, compelling presentation or written piece;
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully via email, text, in-person, and phone with donors, board members, volunteers, staff, and the public;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and manage simultaneous projects to meet deadlines and goals;
- Ability to develop long-term plans, set objectives, and track progress towards achieving goals;
- Ability to take initiative, problem-solve, multi-task, work independently, and collaborate in a team environment.
This position has a starting salary range of $48,000 - $60,000, dependent on experience. Benefits include vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, individual employer-provided health insurance, life insurance and long-term disability, paid family medical leave, 401k defined contribution plan with employer match.
The ACLU of Maine’s office is based in Portland, Maine, but currently our office is closed and staff are working remotely until further notice.
As an organization, we value working together and look forward to when we can safely return to our office. Candidates outside of Portland and/or Maine will be considered for this position with the understanding that relocation to the Portland region will be ultimately required.
ABOUT THE ACLU OF MAINE
We are the Maine affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union. We fight for equality, justice, and freedom for all Mainers in the statehouse, in the courthouse, and through public education and engagement. We are active in the areas of criminal legal reform, racial justice, immigrants' rights, reproductive rights, women's rights, indigenous rights, LGBTQ+ rights, voting rights, privacy, and freedom of speech and religion.
Please submit by email a cover letter and a resume. In your cover letter, tell us what in your background or experience makes you a great candidate for this position. Send to email@example.com, with the subject line: “Development Communications Strategist Application” and your name.