The ACLU of Maine is looking for three interns to join our team for the summer 2023 internship program. The internship is 32 hours per week for 8 consecutive weeks starting June 1, 2023.
Our interns have the opportunity to work with members of the ACLU of Maine staff and will be supervised by our Engagement Coordinator within our communications department. There will be opportunities to take part in substantive meetings, events, and conversations on strategy, and broader ACLU work.
WHO CAN APPLY?
We invite all people 18 and older, with a tie to Maine (resident, home, school) to apply. Individuals who are not United States citizens will most likely need to obtain work authorization from their institution. We encourage anyone who fits this description to reach out to your student work office or other appropriate office for guidance.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This intern will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience by working alongside our team to:
- Support key advocacy priorities and our responses to important current events as they arise by, for example, completing research, drafting communications and documents, organizing programs and events, and more
- Provide insight on team program plans to advance civil rights and civil liberties across Maine
- Engage with the public as representatives of the ACLU of Maine at outdoor community events such as “Juneteenth Ain’t Enough” and Portland Pride
- Take initiative by identifying additional projects of interest to work on
- Work collaboratively and respectfully with a diverse team of colleagues
- Complete other tasks as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
We are looking for someone who is
- Dedicated to defending and advancing civil liberties, civil rights, and social justice
- Demonstrates commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- Willing to approach work with a growth mindset
- Driven to work both independently and as part of a team to complete projects on a timely schedule
- Ready to work in a fast-paced environment, incorporate constructive feedback, and learn-by-doing
Location: Remote and In-Person (Interns are required to live within a reasonable distance of our office in Portland Maine)
Time Commitment: 32 hours per week for 8 weeks
Start Date: June 1st
Application closes on March 17, 2023
HOW TO APPLY
Fill out our application form (no resume or cover letter needed) here.
FOR QUESTIONS CONTACT
Grace Hooke (she/her/hers)
Engagement Coordinator | ACLU of Maine
The ACLU of Maine is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Maine strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, prior involvement in the criminal legal system, or membership in any legally protected category.
The ACLU of Maine is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail Grace Hooke at email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.