Spring 2021 internship opportunity with the American Civil Liberties Union of Maine Foundation
The ACLU of Maine has an opening for one funded internship. This intern will have the opportunity to work with members of our staff and will be supervised by our Engagement Coordinator. There will be opportunities to take part in substantive meetings, events, and conversations on strategy, and broader ACLU work. More details can be found below.
WHO CAN APPLY?
We invite all people 16 and older, with a tie to Maine (resident, home, school) to apply. We are looking for an engaged and passionate individual with an interest in civil rights and civil liberties.
Time Commitment: 8 hours per week for a 10-week period starting in February (flexible hours and start date)
HOW TO APPLY
Submit our internship application.
Please submit your application by 9:00 a.m. on Monday, January 11, 2021. We anticipate making a decision on applications by February 1; however, that date may change depending on circumstances.
The ACLU of Maine is the state's guardian of liberty. We are active in the courts, the legislature and the community to defend the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and to extend their promises to all Mainers. We're also the Maine affiliate of the nationwide ACLU.
Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBTQ+ community, advancing racial and immigrant justice, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to have an abortion, we use legal and legislative advocacy to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This intern will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience by working alongside our team to
- Support key advocacy priorities and our responses to important current events as they arise by, for example, completing research, drafting communications and documents, organizing programs and events, and more
- Provide insight on team program plans to advance civil rights and civil liberties across Maine
- Take initiative by identifying additional projects of interest to work on
- Work collaboratively and respectfully with a diverse team of colleagues
- Complete other tasks as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
We are looking for someone who is
- Dedicated to defending and advancing civil liberties, civil rights, and social justice
- Demonstrates commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- Willing to approach the work with a growth mindset
- Driven to work both independently and as part of a team to complete projects successfully
- Ready to work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, and learn-by-doing